Superior on-site medical services contribute to Headwaters at Origins’ renowned reputation as a leader in drug and alcohol addiction treatment. From medical detoxification that is safe and comfortable to the treatment of concurrent medical conditions, the addiction specialists at Origins are committed to guiding you, your loved one, or your patient on the path to wellness.
We match innovative and evidence-based addiction treatment practices with medical care that is headed by doctors who understand addiction. Our multidisciplinary team includes skilled nurses, psychiatrists, and medical doctors. Headwaters is also adjacent to St. Mary’s Hospital. Medical emergencies are extremely rare, but there is peace of mind in knowing that a superb medical facility with all of its resources is located next door.
Key components of Headwaters comprehensive medical services include:
- Thorough physical evaluations upon admission
- An expert medical staff experienced in addiction medicine
- Staff psychiatrists who prescribe appropriate medication according to continuing evaluations
- A residential unit for older adults which is adjacent to a 24/7 nursing facility
- Treatment of chronic pain with non-narcotic medications and other therapies
- Education about ongoing health management
- Personalized discharge plans that include medical care recommendations
Addiction and Health
Substance use disorder can cause or exacerbate chronic and other health issues. Aging and early-onset addiction multiply the risk factor for co-occurring physical and mental illnesses. Alcohol and drug use affects the body in so many adverse ways that addiction-informed medical treatment is often necessary for reversal or reduction of health issues.
Conditions that often appear concurrently with addiction include:
- Liver disease, including hepatitis and cirrhosis
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular problems
- Neurological problems
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- HIV/AIDS caused by unsterile needles related to intravenous drug use
- Kidney disease
- Bladder disorders
At Headwaters, we address these conditions in a safe environment with a compassionate team of medical professionals.
Medical conditions occurring alongside addiction need to be treated at the same time as addiction, in the same place, with the same treatment team. As patients move through detox and residential levels of care, our team keeps a close eye on both mental and physical health. We closely monitor and address chronic health condition during their stay. Our continuing care plans include recommendations for ongoing medical care and a focus on self-care practices related to total health and wellness.
If you would like more information about Headwaters at Origins please call 844-439-2837.